Thursday 22 March 2012

How do we begin? - A Successful Media Career.

Its a question that I often ask myself, when I leave the confines of my university and get thrown, cruelly into the real world, how will I manage?

Who will employ me? What will make me different to anyone else? How will I afford to eat?

Well, luckily my university (Birmingham City University) are very conscious of how scary this time is and my professional development is eternally grateful.

Within such a competitive and fast paced industry its easy to get lost and fade into the background. Over the last few years I've realised if I have any desire to further my career then I really need to step up my game as far as journalism goes.

My three year plan...

6 months

  • Apply for Work placements and hopefully secure at least 2.
  • Continue to update social networking sites such as twitter, blogspot, Facebook, linkedin. etc. 
  • Attempt to write a new blog everyday.
1 year
  • Obtain more work placements.
  • GET MYSELF OUT THERE!!! Get my name known. 
  • Send emails to prospective employers requesting work placements.
  • Progress with blog, blogging as much as possible.
3 years
  • Will have finished university, find an industry job!
  • Continue to keep my media profile up.
  • Work my way up the media ladder.
  • Aim for the dream job!

I really think its vital to make plans such as this because when you have something real that you can aim for it makes it a lot easier to get your head down and work hard. 

Although its terribly scary I will not let it set me back, I've wanted to work within the media industry since I was a child and a little thing like a recession isn't going to stop me!



               

No comments:

Post a Comment